The Rotary Foundation’s Group Study Exchange (GSE) program is a unique cultural and vocational exchange opportunity for businesspeople and professionals between the ages of 25 and 40 who are in the early stages of their careers. The program provides travel grants for teams to exchange visits in paired areas of different countries. For four to six weeks, team members experience the host country’s culture and institutions, observe how their professions are practiced abroad, develop personal and professional relationships, and exchange ideas.
In a typical four-week tour, applicants participate in five full days of vocational visits, 15 to 20 club presentations, 10 to 15 formal visits and social events, two to three days at the district conference, three to four hours per day of cultural and site tours, and three to four hours per day of free time with host families. This process helps to cultivate two-way cultural and professional awareness.
For each team member, the Foundation provides the most economical round-trip airline ticket between the home and host countries. Rotarians in the host area provide for meals, lodging, and group travel within their district. Each team member is responsible for personal and incidental expenses incurred before, during and after the study tour.
Who is eligible? A GSE team consists of four non-Rotarian business or professional people and a Rotarian team leader.
· Have been employed full-time in a recognized business or profession for at least two years at the time of application
· Be committed to remaining in the work force after the exchange
· Be in the early stages of their careers and professions
· Reside in or be employed in the sending Rotary district and also be citizens of the country in which they reside
· Be proficient in the language of the country being visited
· Be personable, articulate, cooperative, exemplary in their work, and enthusiastic about their vocations
· Seek to gain a maximum educational value from the program, as well as be able to fulfill the rigorous demands of international travel and actively participate in the extensive itinerary
Note: Spouses may not accompany teams.
Before leaving you must participate in all orientation sessions or group meetings and obtain the necessary documents for traveling.
To apply, please contact:
Rotary Club of Salt Lake City
Phone: (801) 363-8415 Fax: (801) 363-6850 10 West First South #400 Salt Lake City, UT, 84101
Note: Not all Rotary districts participate in the Group Study Exchange Program every year. By February of each year, Rotary clubs should be able to tell applicants whether the district will participate in a Group Study Exchange during the upcoming year (July 1 – June 30) and, if so, with what country/area it will exchange teams. By May or June, approximate dates for team travel should be determined.
If the district is planning an exchange, local Rotarians can provide further information about application materials, procedures and deadlines. Initial application must be made through a local Rotary Club. Final team selection takes place at the district level.
The following persons are ineligible to apply: a Rotarian; and employee of a Rotary club, district, other Rotary entity, or Rotary International; any Rotarian’s or Rotary employee’s spouse, ancestor (parent or grandparent by blood), lineal descendant (child or grandchild by blood and any legally adopted child); or a spouse of a lineal descendant.